The real estate industry is fast moving and it is one of the most important sectors in the Malaysian economy. Our Real Estate Practice Group is well-versed in drafting and preparing sale and purchase agreements, joint venture agreements and has vast experience in sub-sale transactions for both landed and non-landed properties and mixed developments. Our real estate team also includes seasoned property litigators who regularly handle disputes over property ownership and possession, property fraud, land acquisition, breach of contract, tenancy disputes and other land-related disputes.
Our team’s experience in both property litigation disputes and conveyancing practice gives us a particular advantage and unique insights when advising clients.
Our lawyers play an active role in advising developers, individuals and companies and preparing the relevant documents for various property transactions, including the joint venture and development agreements involving local and foreign investors.
At an international level, we have advised numerous international companies including conglomerates from China and Indonesia and other clients from Singapore, the United Kingdom and Australia.
- Applications for Consent
- Breach of contract
- Deed of receipt and reassignment
- Discharge of Charge
- Entry and Removal of caveats
- Facility/ Loan Agreements
- Forfeiture and lease renewals
- Land acquisitions
- Maintenance and service charge disputes; and Landlord/ Tenant disputes including rental arrears
- Ownership disputes
- Perfection of Transfer and Charge
- Recovery of land
- Sale and Purchase Agreements
- Settlement Agreement (Transfer of Properties and Shares)
- Tenancy Agreements
- Transfer of Property
- Representing and advising clients on disputes relating to termination of co-proprietorship in properties;
- Representing and advising clients on landlord and tenant disputes relating to rent arrears, forfeiture and lease renewals
- Representing and advising clients on disputes relating to the execution of sale and purchase agreement of land;
- Representing and advising clients on breach of contracts relating to real estate;
- Representing and advising clients on partitioning and subdividing of land; and
- Liaising with property valuers.
Some of our notable past experiences are as follows:
- Termination of co-proprietorship in properties
- We represented several applicants who intended to terminate their co-proprietorship of a 4 storey building in Pudu, Kuala Lumpur (“Property”) by way of an order for sale. The co-proprietors have not been on speaking terms for more than a decade over the disputes and disagreements of their rights and entitlements in the Property. In the circumstances, the application was filed on the basis that the impasse between the co-proprietors made it necessary and expedient for the co-proprietorship be terminated.
- Partition of land
- We represented a co-proprietor of a land which has been divided into two (2) portions. On each portion stood a semi-detached house with a common boundary wall. The co-proprietor wished to partition the said land according to the established boundary of the land to obtain a separate register document of title for the semi-detached houses. The High Court found merits in our client’s application and allowed the partition.
- Landlord and tenant disputes
- We represented landlords by issuing Notice of Forfeiture against tenants who failed to pay rent and refused to vacate the premises. The Notice of Forfeiture demanded the tenants to make all payments due and owing to the landlords, failing which the tenancy agreement was deemed terminated.
- On the other hand, we also advised tenants in disputes where the landlords did not adhere to covenants stipulated in the tenancy agreements.
Reviews & Testimonials
– “I am writing to express my thanks and appreciation for the handling a difficult case that was causing me a great deal of stress. Both of you did an excellent job in spite of the complexities and very tedious nature of this case. So glad that I found both of you in my internet search.
I have inquired and have gone through previous lawyers who were not able to help me get vacant possession of my property.I am especially appreciative of the admirable work culture and ethics of the firm. All communication was promptly responded to and great care taken to ensure that possible trouble was avoided. Not only are you both very professional and knowledgeable lawyers but are very pleasant and helpful too.
I have no hesitation in recommending the both of you to any clients who require legal representation. – Kok Siew Chuan
– “Overall I find their services quite efficient and satisfactory. Whenever we need to meet for a group discussion, it is easy to fix an appointment with the lawyer in charge, even outside normal working hours. Their research and preparatory work is up to date, as evidenced by the successful litigation results so far. As for their professional fees, I find them reasonable and comparable to some of the other legal firms. The standard set by the founding partners appears to have been retained. Should a new litigation matter arise, MahWengKwai & Assoc. will be one of our 3 top choices.” – K.K. Ong, Pilecon Engineering Berhad
“I was very fortunate to have retained the excellent services of MWKA and through them, Sarah Kambali, when dealing with our purchase of a property and what should have been a routine SPA. Although a reputable firm was representing the seller, Sarah’s counterpart was inexperienced and unfamiliar with the simple process. Without Sarah’s assistance, I expect that we would have had to spend a lot more time to finalise the SPA. Further, the seller had tried to renegotiate on terms agreed in the Letter of Offer, but Sarah had very firmly quashed this nonsense. I felt that I was in good hands during the whole time with Raymond and Sarah. ” -Carol Lim, Checkers
-“Highly professional and so efficient in conducting their tasks. I would recommend anyone to engage their services if professionalism is of great importance — a special mention for Sarah Kambali, who handled my case to my great satisfaction.” -Jasmine Oh, SelangorRead more