Raymond is the Managing Partner of MahWengKwai & Associates.
His primary area of practice is in civil and corporate litigation, appeals and arbitration, and appears regularly at the High Court, Court of Appeal and Federal Court. His experience includes a variety of construction and land related disputes.
Raymond graduated with Honours Class 1 from the University of Queensland. He chambered in Shook Lin & Bok under the guidance of Mr Steven Thiru and Dato’ Dr Cyrus Das. Thereafter, he gained invaluable experience from working closely with Dato’ Mah Weng Kwai. Raymond took over the reins of leadership in the firm from his father in 2010.
Raymond is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Malaysian Society of Adjudicators. He is empanelled both as an arbitrator and adjudicator with the Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC).
He is recognised by Legal 500 as a “Real estate and construction disputes expert“ and “strong for contentious employment issues”. AsiaLaw Profiles ranks Raymond as a Notable Practitioner in Dispute Resolution. Raymond was selected as one of Asian Legal Business’ 40 Under 40 brightest young legal minds in 2015. He was also named by Asia Law Portal as one of “30 people to watch in the business of law in Asia in 2017.”
Career to date
2013 Managing Partner, MahWengKwai & Associates
2010 Principal, MahWengKwai & Associates
2008 Partner, MahWengKwai Seow & Megat
2005 Legal Assistant, Mah Weng Kwai & Associates
2005 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2004 Pupil-in-Chambers, Shook Lin & Bok
2003 Clerkship, Freehills (Australia)
2002 Clerkship, Allens Arthur Robinson (Australia)
- Committee Member, League of Lawyers
- Member, International Alliance of Practicing Lawyers (IAPL)
- Member, Catholic Lawyers’ Society
- Member, Law Association for Asia and the Pacific (LAWASIA)
- Volunteer, Mercy Malaysia
2018 Fellow of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
2017 Singapore Academy of Law – INSEAD Law Firm Leadership Program (SILLP)
2014 Fellow of the Malaysian Society of Adjudicators
2012 Certificate of Adjudication (Asian International Arbitration Centre)
2004 Certificate of Legal Practice
2003 Bachelor of Laws (University of Queensland) (Honours Class 1)
2001 Bachelor of Economics (University of Queensland)
Particular arbitration and litigation experience
- Claim arising from unforeseen adverse physical conditions in the construction of a dam.
- Disputes arising from plumbing works for a residential development project.
- Disputes on design faults arising from the collapse of a basement car park.
- Disputes arising from the electrical and telecommunications works for a resort development project.
- Claim for outstanding progress claims for the construction of a residential development project.
- Working closely with experts and witnesses, including civil and geotechnical engineering consultants.
- Claim for release of performance bond for the construction of water supply pipes, Federal Court.
- Claim to challenge the validity of planning permission for a hypermarket, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from the supply and installation of furniture and fittings for a hotel, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes over the construction of a ‘feng shui’ arch in a cemetery, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes over the supply of aluminium panels for building cladding, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for removal of excess earth dumped on neighbouring land, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for vacant possession of land from squatters, High court.
- Disputes arising from the construction of a common boundary wall, High Court.
- Defending a claim for trespass arising from the construction of drainage from a mixed development project, High Court.
- Claim for damages for wrongful entry of private caveat, Federal Court.
- Removal of a third-party charge registered by a bank in excess of authority granted by a power of attorney, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for the return of an undivided shared of land sold by a trustee to a third party, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from land acquisitions, High Court.
- Claim by owners of an undivided share of land to divided and partition the land, High Court.
- Judicial review regarding the acquisition of land for use as a public road, Court of Appeal.
- Judicial review against the National Registration Departments’ decision to refuse citizenship to an adopted child, High Court.
- Judicial review against the minister’s refusal to grant an audit licence to a qualified accountant, High Court.
- Defending a claim for oppression by a minority shareholder of a multi-level marketing company distributing of an international brand of health products, High Court.
- Defending an international publisher from a defamation claim, Federal Court.
- Claim for defamation against a credit information provider, Court of Appeal.
Other civil matters
- Claim to safeguard monies paid on trust for minor beneficiaries, Court of Appeal.
- Partnership dispute between medical practitioners, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from the restructuring of a franchise restaurant, High Court.
- Defending charges against a director of a listed company for making false and misleading disclosures to the Securities Commission.
- Disputes arising from the design and construction of bored piles for a high rise apartment project, High Court.
- Ho Hau Wong & Ors v Tan Kim Chuan & Ors (No.2)  1 LNS 1001;  MLJU 907
- Goh Jui Leang v Tay Sing Hwa  1 LNS 828;  MLJU 810
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak & Ors  1 LNS 965;  MLJU 944
- Park Access Sdn Bhd & Ors v Badan Pengurusan Bersama Prima Avenue dan DPCC Fasa 1 (Blok G, H, I) and other appeals  1 LNS 711;  MLJU 647
- Wong Yin Yong v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & yang lain  MLJU 551
- Green Nature Grandeur Sdn Bhd & Ors v Companies Commissions of Malaysia & Ors  MLJU 557
- KCSB Konsortium Sdn Bhd v Pengarah Tanah dan Galian Johor & Ors  1 LNS 90;  MLJU 74
- Garden Bay Sdn Bhd v Sime Darby Property Bhd  6 CLJ 199;  1 LNS 1961;  2 MLJ 636;  MLJU 1998
- Prima Avenue and DPC (Block G,H, 1) Management Corp v Puncak Kencana Sdn Bhd & Ors  MLJU 2347;  1 LNS 801
- Green Land Builders Sdn Bhd v Tan Chee Who  MLJU 2323
- Pendaftar Besar Kelahiran dan Kematian, Malaysia v Pang WS & Anor  3 MLJ 308;  MLJU 390;  7 CLJ 33;  1 LNS 382
- Tan Wei Mia & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah, Gombak  1 LNS 1335  MLJU 1369
- Sime Darby Property Bhd v Garden Bay Sdn Bhd & Another Case  6 CLJ 107;  1 LNS 175;  7 MLJU 420;  MLJU 145
- Prima Avenue and DPC (Block G,H, 1) Management Corp v Puncak Kencana Sdn Bhd & Ors  MLJU 1448;  1 LNS 1592
- TTDI Jaya Sdn Bhd v Yew Hong Teng & Anor  1 CLJ 436;  MLJU 1772
- Registrar of Births and Deaths, Malaysia v Pang Wee See & Anor  3 MLJ 308 (Court of Appeal)
- Pang WS & Anor v Pendaftar Besar Kelahiran dan Kematian  1 CLJ 436;  MLJU 1772
- Pang WS & Anor v Pendaftar Besar Kelahiran dan Kematian  1 LNS 1086;  6 MLJ 396
- Konsortium Lord-Saberkat Sdn Bhd v Petron Malaysia Refining & Marketing Bhd & Another appeal  1 LNS 702;  MLJU 478;  6 MLJ 186
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak  7 CLJ 722;  1 LNS 484;  MLJU 301;  5 MLJ 43
- Liong Seow Keng & Ors v Ho Soon Cheng  6 CLJ 761;  MLJU 114;  9 MLJ 681
- Wong Yin Yong v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & yang lain 1 LNS 203
- Ho Soon Cheng v Liong Seow Keng & yang lain  1 LNS 463
- Ng Chin Chai v Pentadbir Tanah Segamat & Other Appeals  4 CLJ 693;  MLJU 1702
- Wong Yin Yong v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & yang lain  1 LNS 326;  MLJU 1535
- Chai Fui Mien & Anor v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 1394;  MLJU 2071
- WRP Asia Pacific Sdn Bhd v NS Bluescope Lysaght Malaysia Sdn Bhd  MLJU 1125;  1 LNS 1236
- Simon Choong & Ors v Dragon Ginseng Enterprise Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 654;  MLJU 898
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak  1 LNS 1144;  MLJU 743
- Remesh Raj v M Rajaretnam v Magnificient Diagraph Sdn Bhd  2 LNS 0683
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak  5 CLJL 517  1 LNS 474;  7 MLJ 250;  MLJU 1157
- Lim Teong Yen v Expeditors (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd  1 ILR 519
- UDA Holdings Bhd v Bisraya Construction Sdn Bhd & Anor and another case  5 CLJ 527;  11 MLJ 499
- Liong Seow Keng & Ors v Ho Soon Cheng  1 LNS 1307;  3 CLJ 808
- Ng Bak Soon & Ors v Lee Chin Yen & Anor  1 LNS 1548
- Tenaga Nasional Bhd v Empayar Canggih Sdn Bhd (previously known as ODVD Manufacturer Sdn Bhd)  8 MLJ 280;  MLJU 906;  1 LNS 637
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 664;  MLJU 287
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors  4 CLJ 842;  1 LNS 64
- Greenlinx Sdn Bhd & Anor v Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia  7 CLJ 490;  1 LNS 349;  MLJU 464;  5 MLJ 373
- Bengjaya Sdn Bhd v Mohd Fauzi Ahmad & Anor  2 CLJ 799;  1 LNS 281;  2 MLJ 126;  MLJU 312
- Dr Chen Yin Khee v Dr Teo Keng Huat  1 LNS 420
- Demag (M) Sdn Bhd v Greenlinx Sdn Bhd  9 CLJ 49;  MLJU 353;  5 MLJ 687
- Soh Chun Seng v CTOS-EMR Sdn Bhd  2 CLJ 886;  5 MLJ 208;  MLJU 1190
- Perbadanan Nasional Bhd v Shaharin Shaharudin  9 CLJ 208;  1 LNS 363;  MLJU 423
- Design Centre (M) Sdn Bhd v Goldcourse Sdn Bhd  1 LNS 1660;  MLJU 2141
- Abd Rahim Abd Rahmah & Ors v DMD Industries Sdn nBhd & Ors; Kamariyah Hamdan & Ors (Third Parties)  9 CLJ 724;  1 LNS 644
- Dr Bernadine Malini Martin v MPH Magazine Sdn Bhd & Ors and Another Appeal  1 LNS 694;  7 CLJ 525;  MLJU 509;  5 MLJ 755
- Konajaya Sdn Bhd v Perbadanan Urus Air Selangor Bhd  9 CLJ 640;  1 LNS 286;  MLJU 436;  5 MLJ 263
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors (No.2)  9 CLJ 400;  7 MLJ 276
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors (No.2)  9 CLJ 373;  7 MLJ 250
Reviews & Testimonials
- “We are deeply appreciative and happy with the services provided by your team of competent, responsible and reliable staff, particularly Raymond Mah and Jasmine Wong. We will not hesitate to recommend your excellent services to others.” -Mr & Mrs C, Selangor
- “We have been using the services of MWKA for a number of years and have found them to be professional, competent and efficient.We would like to express our gratitude to the team of MWKA, particularly to Mr Raymond Mah, Ms Liow Pei Xia and Ms Jasmine Wong for their dedication, support and empathy. We truly appreciate their good legal knowledge, vast experience and excellent analytical skills. Most importantly, they always have their clients’ interest at heart. They help plan and strategize on how best to move forward in achieving a positive outcome.We would not hesitate to describe MWKA as a professional, top quality and trustworthy legal firm. We would highly recommend MWKA to others who wish to engage their professional services.” – P & Y, Petaling Jaya
- “I have been using the services of MWKA for a few years and have found them to be very professional and full of empathy. Especially with the likes of Raymond Mah, Prisilla Chong & Eric Toh. They will go the extra mile to ensure that they have all sides of the story, know what needs to be done and strategize with you on how best to move forward. I have recommended their services to friends and will not hesitate to engage them for any future requirements” – Looi Kok Peng
- “Our company has been working with Raymond and his team for the past year and they have been providing prompt and reliable legal responses to our business needs. They are not only a team of knowledgeable and competent advisors in our engagement, we have also received proactive check-ins to support and make our business decisions more complete from a local legal perspective. We would like to specially thank John Chan and Sue Ann for their hard work and dedication to our account such that we are always kept updated. Looking forward to even more success working together with them in 2019!” – Alex Tam, Head of Offline Unit, Paktor Pte Ltd, Singapore.
- “I would like to express my sincere and heartfelt appreciation and gratitude to the legal firm of MWKA especially to Mr Raymond Mah for his high professionalism and competent services. He was very thorough, fair and transparent in fighting my case, saving my reputation and establishing justice for which I will always be grateful. I also wish to convey my thanks and appreciation to John Chan, for a job well done and arriving at a satisfactory conclusion to my case. I embarked upon the action with some trepidation and was impressed by your manners and your patience in dealing with me especially on those occasions when I must have asked what could have been construed as pretty ‘silly’ questions. I cannot thank you both enough and I have no reservation in highly recommending your firm.” – JC Tay
- “Based on my dealings with Raymond Mah, I am satisfied with the good knowledge of the law; vast experience; excellent analytical skills and ability to have a good grasp of complicated issues; great writing skills in preparing persuasive or compelling representations; quick response time (e.g. update of the day’s Court proceedings emailed to me before day’s end); patience. Raymond is particularly sharp, critical, creative and able to quickly make sense of what appear to be difficult issues. In terms of professionalism and quality or standard of services, I would rate MWKA as for better than many other legal firms of the same size that I know.” – Joseph Tan
- “My previous lawyer filed my claim against a contractor client for outstanding design & build consultancy fees of RM157,000 and this was met with a counterclaim of over RM800,000.I engaged Mr. Raymond Mah and his team at Messrs. MahWengKwai & Associates to conduct the trial at the Shah Alam High Court, which involved evidence and arguments on engineering matters, including the design and supervision of bored piles.I was very pleased with Raymond’s ability to quickly grasp the engineering concepts involved and his attention to detail. The team consisting of Raymond and Mr. Gan Chong Chieh was meticulous in its preparation and efficient in its delivery. I appreciated that Raymond and Gan always took the time to explain to me the legal aspects of the case and to keep me informed of the progress of the case. Working closely together, we won my claim and successfully defended the counterclaim.” – Ir. Dr. Wong Fook Keong, Consulting Engineer and Chartered Arbitrator, WEA Engineers & Associates Sdn Bhd
- “Kuasamas Letrik Sdn Bhd engaged MahWengKwai & Associate to represent us in a matter of arbitration against the main contractor, Seloga Jaya Sdn Bhd for settlement of the outstanding progress claim. The overall level of service is excellent and efficient.Mr Raymond Mah and Ms Chloe Lim Yen Hwa followed up, discussed and gave their professional advice so that the case could be settled smoothly and successfully. They have proven to be capable lawyers, they are very hard working, enthusiastic towards their job and have shown good communication at all levels. We take great pleasure to recommend them to others who wish to engage their professional services.” – Chai Hon Chong, Managing Director of Kuasamas Letrik Sdn Bhd
- “Raymond Mah is a true professional, he is very knowledgeable and always there to provide timely legal advice whenever required. He is very patient and helpful and has a knack for making complex legal terms and issues easy to understand. It helps that his team is effectively bilingual in English and Mandarin. We are very satisfied with his excellent services (since 2005) and grateful for his help. It has been a great pleasure working with Raymond. We would like to thank him for his dedication, hard work and patience and would strongly recommend him to anyone seeking a good lawyer.” – Dr Chen Jau-Fei, E.Excel International
- “Dear Mr. Raymond Mah & Ms. Chloe Lim,I am writing to express my thanks and appreciation for the handling a difficult case that was causing me a great deal of stress. Both of you did an excellent job in spite of the complexities and very tedious nature of this case. So glad that I found both of you in my internet search. I have inquired and have gone through previous lawyers who were not able to help me get vacant possession of my property.
I am especially appreciative of the admirable work culture and ethics of the firm. All communication was promptly responded to and great care taken to ensure that possible trouble was avoided. Not only are you both very professional and knowledgeable lawyers but are very pleasant and helpful too.”
I have no hesitation in recommending the both of you to any clients who require legal representation. – Kok Siew Chuan
- “Mr Raymond Mah and his team of lawyers, Ms Cassandra Thomazios and Mr Tommy Wong, have demonstrated their commitment to providing exceptional client-focused legal services. His team of lawyers are accessible and very responsive to our needs and have provided us with solid legal advice. They work to ensure that the scope of their legal services stay consistent with our expectations and budget. We value our relationship with MahWengKwai & Associates and would be happy to recommend them.” – Ann Quah, Mulia Property Development Sdn Bhd, Kuala Lumpur
- “Having MahWengKwai & Associates for any public law litigation is a must. Especially in a David and Goliath fight when the State armed itself with the full might of the government apparatuses. Raymond Mah, Denise and Vivien together with their assistants went into the lion’s den, armored only with Rule of Law, powerful pleadings and determination were able to wrestle numerous victories at the appellate courts. Bravo and thank you.” – Estate of Tan Bok Yin, Hulu Kelang, Kuala Lumpur
- Dispute Resolution
Banking & Finance
Insolvency & Winding Up
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property
Trust & Succession
Banking & Finance
Societies & Non Profit Organisations
Entrepreneurs & Start-ups
Mergers & Acquisitions
Director and Shareholder Disputes
Sports Services Contracts
- Individuals & Families
Private Wealth Management
Will, Trusts & Probate