Raymond’s primary area of practice is in civil and corporate litigation, appeals and arbitration. His experience includes a variety of construction and land related disputes.
Raymond chambered in Shook Lin & Bok under the guidance of Mr Steven Thiru and Dato’ Dr Cyrus Das.
Thereafter, he gained invaluable experience from working closely with Dato’ Mah Weng Kwai. Raymond took over the reins of leadership in the firm from his father when the latter left legal practice in 2010.
Raymond qualified in 2012 as a Certified Adjudicator and is empanelled as an Adjudicator with the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA). He was one of the early practitioners and has been assigned by the KLRCA to adjudicate 3 disputes under CIPAA to date.
He has been recognised by Legal 500 and AsiaLaw Profiles for Dispute Resolution and Real Estate & Construction. Raymond was also selected as one of Asian Legal Business’40 Under 40 brightest young legal minds in 2015
Career to date
2013 Managing Partner, MahWengKwai & Associates
2010 Principal, MahWengKwai & Associates
2008 Partner, MahWengKwai Seow & Megat
2005 Legal Assistant, Mah Weng Kwai & Associates
2005 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2004 Pupil-in-Chambers, Shook Lin & Bok
2003 Clerkship, Freehills (Australia)
2002 Clerkship, Allens Arthur Robinson (Australia)
- Committee Member, League of Lawyers
- Member, International Alliance of Practicing Lawyers (IAPL)
- Member, Catholic Lawyers’ Society
- Member, Law Association for Asia and the Pacific (LAWASIA)
- Volunteer, Mercy Malaysia
2018 Fellow of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
2017 Singapore Academy of Law – INSEAD Law Firm Leadership Program (SILLP)
2014 Fellow of the Malaysian Society of Adjudicators
2012 Certificate of Adjudication (Asian International Arbitration Centre)
2004 Certificate of Legal Practice
2003 Bachelor of Laws (University of Queensland) (Honours Class 1)
2001 Bachelor of Economics (University of Queensland)
Particular arbitration and litigation experience
- Claim arising from unforeseen adverse physical conditions in the construction of a dam.
- Disputes arising from plumbing works for a residential development project.
- Disputes on design faults arising from the collapse of a basement car park.
- Disputes arising from the electrical and telecommunications works for a resort development project.
- Claim for outstanding progress claims for the construction of a residential development project.
- Working closely with experts and witnesses, including civil and geotechnical engineering consultants.
- Claim for release of performance bond for the construction of water supply pipes, Federal Court.
- Claim to challenge the validity of planning permission for a hypermarket, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from the supply and installation of furniture and fittings for a hotel, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes over the construction of a ‘feng shui’ arch in a cemetery, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes over the supply of aluminium panels for building cladding, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for removal of excess earth dumped on neighbouring land, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for vacant possession of land from squatters, High court.
- Disputes arising from the construction of a common boundary wall, High Court.
- Defending a claim for trespass arising from the construction of drainage from a mixed development project, High Court.
- Claim for damages for wrongful entry of private caveat, Federal Court.
- Removal of a third-party charge registered by a bank in excess of authority granted by a power of attorney, Court of Appeal.
- Claim for the return of an undivided shared of land sold by a trustee to a third party, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from land acquisitions, High Court.
- Claim by owners of an undivided share of land to divided and partition the land, High Court.
- Judicial review regarding the acquisition of land for use as a public road, Court of Appeal.
- Judicial review against the National Registration Departments’ decision to refuse citizenship to an adopted child, High Court.
- Judicial review against the minister’s refusal to grant an audit licence to a qualified accountant, High Court.
- Defending a claim for oppression by a minority shareholder of a multi-level marketing company distributing of an international brand of health products, High Court.
- Defending an international publisher from a defamation claim, Federal Court.
- Claim for defamation against a credit information provider, Court of Appeal.
Other civil matters
- Claim to safeguard monies paid on trust for minor beneficiaries, Court of Appeal.
- Partnership dispute between medical practitioners, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from the restructuring of a franchise restaurant, High Court.
- Defending charges against a director of a listed company for making false and misleading disclosures to the Securities Commission.
- Disputes arising from the design and construction of bored piles for a high rise apartment project, High Court.
- Ho Hau Wong & Ors v Tan Kim Chuan & Ors (No.2)  1 LNS 1001;  MLJU 907
- Goh Jui Leang v Tay Sing Hwa  1 LNS 828;  MLJU 810
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak & Ors  1 LNS 965;  MLJU 944
- Park Access Sdn Bhd & Ors v Badan Pengurusan Bersama Prima Avenue dan DPCC Fasa 1 (Blok G, H, I) and other appeals  1 LNS 711;  MLJU 647
- Wong Yin Yong v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & yang lain  MLJU 551
- Green Nature Grandeur Sdn Bhd & Ors v Companies Commissions of Malaysia & Ors  MLJU 557
- KCSB Konsortium Sdn Bhd v Pengarah Tanah dan Galian Johor & Ors  1 LNS 90;  MLJU 74
- Garden Bay Sdn Bhd v Sime Darby Property Bhd  6 CLJ 199;  1 LNS 1961;  2 MLJ 636;  MLJU 1998
- Prima Avenue and DPC (Block G,H, 1) Management Corp v Puncak Kencana Sdn Bhd & Ors  MLJU 2347;  1 LNS 801
- Green Land Builders Sdn Bhd v Tan Chee Who  MLJU 2323
- Pendaftar Besar Kelahiran dan Kematian, Malaysia v Pang Wee See & Anor (applying on their behalf and as litigation representatives for Pang Cheng Chuen, a child)  3 MLJ 308;  MLJU 390;  7 CLJ 33;  1 LNS 382
- Tan Wei Mia & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah, Gombak  1 LNS 1335  MLJU 1369
- Sime Darby Property Bhd v Garden Bay Sdn Bhd & Another Case  6 CLJ 107;  1 LNS 175;  7 MLJU 420;  MLJU 145
- Prima Avenue and DPC (Block G,H, 1) Management Corp v Puncak Kencana Sdn Bhd & Ors  MLJU 1448;  1 LNS 1592
- TTDI Jaya Sdn Bhd v Yew Hong Teng & Anor  1 CLJ 436;  MLJU 1772
- Pang Wee See & Anor v Pendaftar Besar Kelahiran dan Kematian  1 CLJ 436;  MLJU 1772
- Pang Wee See & Anor v Pendaftar Besar Kelahiran dan Kematian  1 LNS 1086;  6 MLJ 396
- Konsortium Lord-Saberkat Sdn Bhd v Petron Malaysia Refining & Marketing Bhd & Another appeal  1 LNS 702;  MLJU 478;  6 MLJ 186
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak  7 CLJ 722;  1 LNS 484;  MLJU 301;  5 MLJ 43
- Liong Seow Keng & Ors v Ho Soon Cheng  6 CLJ 761;  MLJU 114;  9 MLJ 681
- Wong Yin Yong v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & yang lain 1 LNS 203
- Ho Soon Cheng v Liong Seow Keng & yang lain  1 LNS 463
- Ng Chin Chai v Pentadbir Tanah Segamat & Other Appeals  4 CLJ 693;  MLJU 1702
- Wong Yin Yong v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & yang lain  1 LNS 326;  MLJU 1535
- Chai Fui Mien & Anor v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 1394;  MLJU 2071
- WRP Asia Pacific Sdn Bhd v NS Bluescope Lysaght Malaysia Sdn Bhd  MLJU 1125;  1 LNS 1236
- Simon Choong & Ors v Dragon Ginseng Enterprise Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 654;  MLJU 898
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak  1 LNS 1144;  MLJU 743
- Remesh Raj v M Rajaretnam v Magnificient Diagraph Sdn Bhd  2 LNS 0683
- Tan Wei Ma & Ors v Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Gombak  5 CLJL 517  1 LNS 474;  7 MLJ 250;  MLJU 1157
- Lim Teong Yen v Expeditors (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd  1 ILR 519
- Ng Bak Soon & Ors v Lee Chin Yen & Anor  1 LNS 1548
- UDA Holdings Bhd v Bisraya Construction Sdn Bhd & Anor and another case  5 CLJ 527;  11 MLJ 499
- Liong Seow Keng & Ors v Ho Soon Cheng  1 LNS 1307;  3 CLJ 808
- Tenaga Nasional Bhd v Empayar Canggih Sdn Bhd (previously known as ODVD Manufacturer Sdn Bhd)  8 MLJ 280;  MLJU 906;  1 LNS 637
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 664;  MLJU 287
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors  4 CLJ 842;  1 LNS 64
- Greenlinx Sdn Bhd & Anor v Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia  7 CLJ 490;  1 LNS 349;  MLJU 464;  5 MLJ 373
- Bengjaya Sdn Bhd v Mohd Fauzi Ahmad & Anor  2 CLJ 799;  1 LNS 281;  2 MLJ 126;  MLJU 312
- Dr Chen Yin Khee v Dr Teo Keng Huat  1 LNS 420
- Demag (M) Sdn Bhd v Greenlinx Sdn Bhd  9 CLJ 49;  MLJU 353;  5 MLJ 687
- Soh Chun Seng v CTOS-EMR Sdn Bhd  2 CLJ 886;  5 MLJ 208;  MLJU 1190
- Perbadanan Nasional Bhd v Shaharin Shaharudin  9 CLJ 208;  1 LNS 363;  MLJU 423
- Design Centre (M) Sdn Bhd v Goldcourse Sdn Bhd  1 LNS 1660;  MLJU 2141
- Abd Rahim Abd Rahmah & Ors v DMD Industries Sdn nBhd & Ors; Kamariyah Hamdan & Ors (Third Parties)  9 CLJ 724;  1 LNS 644
- Dr Bernadine Malini Martin v MPH Magazine Sdn Bhd & Ors and Another Appeal  1 LNS 694;  7 CLJ 525;  MLJU 509;  5 MLJ 755
- Konajaya Sdn Bhd v Perbadanan Urus Air Selangor Bhd  9 CLJ 640;  1 LNS 286;  MLJU 436;  5 MLJ 263
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors (No.2)  9 CLJ 400;  7 MLJ 276
- Edmund Ming Kwan @ Kwan Yee Ming, Edmund v Extra Excel (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd & Ors (No.2)  9 CLJ 373;  7 MLJ 250
Tel: 03-7887 2702
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Banking & Finance
Insolvency & Winding Up
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property
Trust & Succession
Banking & Finance
Societies & Non Profit Organisations
Entrepreneurs & Start-ups
Mergers & Acquisitions
Director and Shareholder Disputes
Sports Services Contracts
Individuals & Families
Private Wealth Management
Will, Trusts & Probate