Joseph regularly acts and advises at all levels of the Malaysian Courts in disputes involving companies, corporations and businesses, such as in shareholders and directors disputes, corporate fraud, asset and debt recovery and preservation and corporate insolvency.
Joseph is also experienced in matters relating to reputation management such as in defamation cases and cases involving social media and marketing.
Having acted for large tanker and shipping lines in admiralty disputes, Joseph is no stranger to shipping disputes and international trade.
Joseph’s other practice areas span across land disputes, tax disputes, negligence and tortious disputes, employment disputes, contractual disputes, arbitration and mediation, wills, probate and administration of estates, enforcement of foreign judgments and general litigation. Joseph has also appeared on behalf of the Malaysian Bar in disputes relating to the legal profession.
Joseph is a graduate with Honours from the University of Malaya (UM) and an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya. Prior to joining MahWengKwai & Associates, he completed his pupillage and practised as a lawyer in a firm with an international network. As a Northerner, he has also practised for a short stint in Penang where he was familiarised with the legal landscape there.
Joseph was recognised by the University of Malaya Law Review as the person of the month in September 2018.
Career to date
2022 Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2021 Associate, Rosli Dahlan Saravana Partnership (Penang)
2020 Associate, Christopher & Lee Ong
2019 Pupil-in-Chambers, Christopher & Lee Ong
2019 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Malaya
Particular litigation experience
- Appeared for former directors of a company in resisting an injunction to freeze their assets for allegedly syphoning and misappropriating company funds and setting up a competing business.
- Appeared for a creditor of approximately RM11 million in large-scale judicial management proceedings involving parties represented by approximately 10 law firms.
- Assisted in a highly publicised claim by a publicly listed company against its former chairman, ex-managing director and former directors for breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of funds and investments.
- Assisted in a business dispute between equal shareholders and directors in a dispute between them where there was a deadlock in the management of the company.
- Assisted for a foreign partner of a joint venture in the mediation and court litigation involving breaches of the joint venture agreement and unauthorised use of the foreign partner’s technology and manufacturing processes.
- Acted for a company in Hong Kong in a matter involving online fraud and the Anti Money Laundering Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001 (AMLA).
- Acted for an international homestay company in obtaining stays of proceedings pending arbitration in actions brought against them by their franchisees.
- Advised a fashion franchise retail brand in a dispute relating to non-compliance of a franchise and supply agreement.
- Acted for local and international technology companies in disputes relating to joint venture and service provision agreements.
- Regularly acts for business in recovery of business debts.
- Regularly acts in matters involving the winding-up of companies.
- Advisory on the legality of digital currencies and its trading platforms.
- Corporate Due-Diligence for Mergers and Acquisitions as well as Takeovers.
- Advisory on the compliance requirements for radio and wifi transmission of security equipment.
- Advisory on the administration of trusts assets and the assets of unincorporated associations (charities and religious bodies).
- Internal Inquiries and Investigations relating to employee complaints.
- Advisory on employment of foreign nationals and immigration matters.
- Drafting guides on foreign equity restrictions and labuan companies.
- Drafting of Sale and Purchase and Tenancy Agreements.
- Dispute Resolution
Banking & Finance
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property
Banking & Finance
Charities & Not-for-profits
Entrepreneurs & Start-ups
- Individuals & Families
Syariah Advisory Wills