Under the Building and Common Property (Maintenance and Management Act) 2007 (repealed) and Strata Management Act 2013, JMBs and MCs are established to manage and maintain common property of the projects. Their duties and powers include collecting maintenance charges and sinking fund contributions from owners; engaging management, security, insurance, cleaning, technical, parking, landscaping etc services for common property; and dealing with the developer, Commissioner of Buildings, local authorities and Strata Management Tribunals.
- Advising JMBs/MCs on statutory procedures, duties, powers and requirements under the relevant legislations with regards to strata titles and common property.
- Advising JMBs/MCs on dealings and issues regarding strata titles and common property with owners, developers, Commissioners of Buildings and local authorities
- Pursuing and defending legal proceedings by and against third parties with regards to strata titles and common property.
- Advising and representing individual owners against JMBs and MCs regards to strata titles and common property.
Successfully representing and defending a car park systems contractor (“Contractor”) against a claim brought by a third party for alleged trespass over a landscape area of a commercial development in Petaling Jaya. The Joint Management Body had engaged the Contractor to install car park systems on the landscape area, the ownership of which was being disputed between the JMB and the purported owner at the time. The High Court held that the purported owner had no cause of action and locus standi to bring a claim against the Contractor and the suit was struck out.
Reviews & Testimonials
- “Great experience dealing with Gan & Anis on our case. They were both detail-oriented while maintaining an overall strategic focus in the litigation with the counterparty. Their knowledge and experience in the area of Strata Management aided greatly in delivering a successful outcome. They are the go-to team for this new body of law in Malaysia. Definitely the legal team to have in your corner. Thank you Gan & Anis.”- Hansen Goh
- “I engaged MahWengKwai & Associates to represent me after I received a letter of demand claiming for alleged damages due to an inter-floor leakage in a strata development in Petaling Jaya. Mr John Chan attended to my case and advised me on my rights and defences against the alleged claim. In a short span of time, MWKA successfully negotiated and achieved a favourable settlement with the claimant on my behalf. MWKA’s fees were very reasonable as well. Thank you.” – Ms CC, Kuala Lumpur
- “I am very pleased with the guidance John Chan has provided to me in my reasonably complex case in the Strata Management Tribunal. His guidance covered procedural and all legal matters. He brought out many points and arguments that I had ignored as it did not come to my mind at all. His responses were prompt, timely, comprehensive, and pertinent to the questions and situation I was facing. I understood and acted upon his suggestions very well even though I do not have any legal background. He guided me at every step of the way. I am grateful that I was able to use his services for this case. I recommend him highly to anyone having a complex strata management tribunal case, without any reservations or hesitations. Thank you, John.” – Anil Rastogi, Putrajaya
- “I am very satisfied with MahWengKwai & Associates’ services, in particular, Mr John Chan. He was professional and knowledgeable in advising my company on a strata management issue. The advice given was on point and we are satisfied with the outcome. Thank you.” – Ms Chan, Casa Andaman Sdn Bhd, Kuala Lumpur
- “I am very pleased and impressed with MWKA’s services, professionalism and expertise. MWKA’s success in the defence of my case is excellent news to me. What a relief! My deepest appreciation to John Chan assisted by Wong Chee En and under the supervision and advice of Raymond Mah for their excellent handling of my case. I highly recommend MWKA to anyone in need of legal services and assistance. Thank you again and forever.” – Ngian Siew Siong, Selangor