Non-profit organisations (NPO) are entities involving societies, associations, charities, cooperatives, and other voluntary organizations formed to further cultural, educational, health, religious, professional, or public service objectives. At MWKA, we understand the contribution and growing roles of societies and NPOs in our social and economic well-being. We share our clients’ objectives, visions and missions by assisting them in establishing and sustaining their societies and NPOs.
- Assisting to register a society or NPO Draft and review Constitutions Assist to deregister a society or NPO
- Advising and acting for societies or NPOs in membership disputes
- Advising societies or NPOs in disciplinary procedures
- Advising and acting for societies or NPOs in general litigation matters
- Advised various societies with regards to compliance with the Societies Act 1966.
- Represented and acted for a federation in various disputes, including a judicial review at the High Court.
- Successfully defended a federation in several highly contentious disputes in the Sessions Court and High Court.
- Reviewed the Constitution of a federation. Drafted a set of Disciplinary Procedure for a federation.
- Advised a federation on how to conduct disciplinary inquiries and taking disciplinary action against its members.
- Drafted a Constitution and Deed of Mutual Covenants for a house owners’ association.
- Advised a non profit organisation on its registation as a company limited by guarantee regulated by the Companies Act 2016.
Reviews & Testimonials
- “MahWengKwai & Associates has been appointed by the Malaysian Institute of Estate Agents as our legal advisor since 2019. During this time, Mr Raymond Mah and Mr Tommy Wong have attended to matters related to our Institute. They have been very helpful and professional in providing legal services. We are very happy to have them on our legal team.” – K Soma Sundram, CEO, Malaysian Institute of Estate Agents