Friday, 8 May, 2020
11:00 am – 11:45 am Unfair & Constructive Dismissal Claims Due to Pay Cuts, VSS and Retrenchment
About this talk
Is your business carrying out pay cuts, voluntary separation schemes (VSS) or retrenchment in order to survive the economic downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the Movement Control Order (MCO)? These actions may well be justified, but employers must prepare for the possibility of unfair and constructive dismissal claims by their employees and retrenched employees. Join us for this online talk, in which our speakers will discuss whether pay cuts, VSS and retrenchment can amount to unfair and constructive dismissal under Section 20 of the Industrial Relations Act 1967. The talk will be delivered over video conference using Zoom.us. You can either view the talk from your web browser or download the Zoom app.
- Overview of unfair dismissal claims under Section 20 IRA
- Can VSS and retrenchment amount to unfair dismissal?
- What is constructive dismissal?
- Can pay cuts amount to constructive dismissal?
- Diana Cheak, Senior Associate, Dispute Resolution Practice Group
- John Chan, Senior Associate, Dispute Resolution Practice Group