Wednesday, 29 July, 2020
3:00 pm – 3:45 pm Drink Driving Offences in Malaysia
About this talk
The police have stepped up their “Ops Mabuk” operations to curb road accidents caused by drivers driving under the influence of alcohol. Many have been arrested, charged and convicted for committing this offence under the Road Transport Act 1987 (RTA). According to the Bukit Aman Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department, 1,236 motorists nationwide have been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol under the RTA from 1 January 2020 to 15 June 2020.
Join us for this online talk to learn about the law on drink driving offences under the RTA and one’s legal rights and obligations arising in such situations. The talk will be delivered over video conference using Zoom.us. You can either view the talk from your web browser or download the Zoom app.
- The offence of driving under the influence of alcohol and its penalties
- Criminal law procedure and police powers relating to drink driving
- Legal rights and obligations at a police roadblock
- Recent discussions on stricter laws and punishments
- Janessa Kok, Associate, Dispute Resolution Practice Group
- Ryan Cheong, Pupil in Chambers, Dispute Resolution Practice Group