Medical law is an area concerned with, amongst others, a broad range of legal issues arising out of the provision of healthcare services and its regulation by the law. Amongst the common issues in medical law are those dealing with negligence, duties and standards of care, ethics and professional conduct.
We have a dedicated team of qualified lawyers specialising in medical law. Our lawyers have experience acting for patients, doctors, hospitals and their respective professional indemnity providers in medical and dental negligence or malpractice cases involving a broad range of medical specialities and in all tiers of the Malaysian courts. Our lawyers have also appeared before the Malaysian Medical Council and the Malaysian Dental Council in respect of patient complaints, acting for both patients and doctors.
Our team of lawyers is able to converse in various languages including English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil, as well as in various Chinese dialects including Hokkien and Cantonese.
Our lawyers also have experience conducting external talks and publishing articles in respect of medical law. We also provide and undertake counsel’s work for other law firms.
- Acted for patients and healthcare providers in medical negligence claims as well as complaints to the Malaysian Medical Council and the Malaysian Dental Council.
- Obtaining copies of patients’ medical records including in applying to the Courts for pre-action discovery of the same.
- Engaging and instructing experts, both locally and overseas, of various medical specialities.
- Conducting trials in the subordinate courts of Malaysia and appeals in the appellate courts of Malaysia.
- Negotiating out-of-Court settlements of claims on behalf of patients and healthcare practitioners.
Our dedicated and specialised team of lawyers have represented a wide range of patients of different ages and medical conditions. For example, our lawyers have experience acting for:-
- infant and adult patients who suffered brain injuries or damage and their family members;
- the next-of-kin of deceased patients who passed away as a result of injuries caused or materially contributed to by negligent medical treatment;
- patients with quadraplegia or who have suffered amputations of various limbs; and
- patients who suffered various injuries arising out of negligent medical treatment including bowel perforations, septic shock, dental injuries, orthopaedic complications, etc
Our lawyers have been involved in claims in medical negligence against the Government of Malaysia (involving Government hospitals), university hospitals, private hospitals, specialist doctors, etc. Our lawyers have represented patients in the High Court of every state in Peninsular Malaysia.
Review & Testimonial
- “We are very thankful to Jasmine who has been very supportive of us and caring through the whole process, and for her legal knowledge and expertise. She was very cool and calm, even when things got hard. No amount of money can give me my life back, but at least, with this win, we got our justice. Thank you Jasmine, and also Chee En and the MWKA team for assisting and representing us in our medical matter.” – Madam Y, Kuala Lumpur
- “MWKA arranged for us to have a consultation with a doctor for his expert opinion. We obtained professional advice from the expert doctor and MWKA’s lawyers Jasmine Wong and Carolyn Ng. The team was quick, responsive and alerted me to all of the highlighted issues. Even though my case involves new medical issues, the team did their best to listen and come out with the best possible solution. Thumbs up!!! Highly recommended 👌🏻” – Bashir, Kuala Lumpur
- “I am very pleased with the services provided by MahWengKwai & Associates. Jasmine & Kar Men assisted me efficiently throughout the way. Everything was professionally conducted. My case was settled amicably and I am very pleased with the outcome. Thank you MWKA!” – Dr FA, Kota Bharu
|Wong Chee En|
Related Articles and Updates
Wednesday, 3 May 2023 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm Medical Negligence Claims: What Patients and…
When patients suffer brain injuries as a result of medical negligence, they may be entitled…
Issue: Mdm Y*, 55, a small-time business owner, was first admitted into a private hospital…
Thursday, 7 July 2022 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm “Serious Professional Misconduct” in MMC Disciplinary…
Wednesday, 21 July, 2021 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm Understanding Medical Negligence Claims About this…
At the time of writing, the countries that top the chart with the highest number…