Vivien Fan graduated with a Second Class Honours (Division I) in Bachelor of Laws from Cardiff University, Wales, United Kingdom in 2014. She completed her Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) at University of Law, London and was called to the English Bar in July 2016. Vivien was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in September 2017.
Having completed her pupillage in MahWengKwai & Associates under the guidance of Mr Raymond Mah and upon admission to the Malaysian Bar, she began her practice in MahWengKwai & Associates as an Associate in 2017.
Vivien continues her practice in MahWengKwai & Associates in the areas of general litigation particularly in debt recovery, criminal, construction, land acquisitions, probate and administration of estates, contractual disputes, and tenancy disputes.
Career to date
2017 Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2017 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2016 Pupil-in-Chambers, MahWengKwai & Associates
2016 Paralegal, MahWengKwai & Associates
2013 Attachment Student, Shearn Delamore & Co., K.L.
2012 Attachment Student, Ghani & Co., K.L.
2016 Called to the Bar by the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple, United Kingdom
2014 Bachelor of Laws ( Second Class Honours, Division 1 )
Particular litigation experience
Civil and Criminal Matters
- Disputes arising from breach of contract, Magistrate’s Court, Sessions Court and High Court.
- Recovery of outstanding debts, Magistrate’s Court, Sessions Court and High Court.
- Winding-up of companies, High Court.
- Criminal matters relating to offences such as causing wrongful loss to a public listed company, voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means, voluntarily causing hurt; and wrongful restraint.
- Shareholders disputes and disputes arising from breach of shares sale agreement, High Court
- Claim for compensations due to compulsory acquisitions by the Government
Construction and Adjudication
- Claim for certified work done and release of retention sum in respect of construction contracts
Reviews & Testimonials
- “Thank you Vivien Fan for the legal advice. She is a very approachable legal representative of the firm and assists clients to the best of her ability.” – Calvin Ong, Kuala Lumpur
- “Having MahWengKwai & Associates for any public law litigation is a must. Especially in a David and Goliath fight when the State armed itself with the full might of the government apparatuses. Raymond Mah, Denise and Vivien together with their assistants went into the lion’s den, armored only with Rule of Law, powerful pleadings and determination were able to wrestle numerous victories at the appellate courts. Bravo and thank you.” -Estate of Tan Bok Yin, Hulu Kelang, Kuala Lumpur
- “We would like to extend our utmost appreciation towards the team of MWKA, especially Christine Toh and Vivien Fan, for the professional legal services offered. Christine is well-versed with the law and thorough in her research. We are impressed with her ability to map complex issues, layout alternatives and explaining each alternative to us patiently for our consideration. With her auditing background, she is practical and aims to resolve conflicts to our best interest. We highly recommend Christine and her team if you are looking for lawyers with good commercial sense.” – MJ Utama, Selangor
- “We are pleased with the legal services rendered by the lawyers in MahWengKwai & Associates. Their lawyers, particularly Christine Toh and Vivien Fan in my matter, are extremely committed and dedicated. Not only she is knowledgeable, but we are also impressed with how well Christine could articulate and convince the judge on complex accounting and construction issues. I would recommend anyone for their professional legal services.” – Esstar Vision Sdn Bhd, Johor Bahru
- “We engaged the services of MahWengKwai & Associates to represent us in a matter against, among others, a local council for the outstanding sum due and owing to us. We are extremely pleased with the assistance, efficiency and legal knowledge provided to us by a team consisting of Ms Christine Toh, Ms Vivien Fan and Fatin Hafiza (Pupil in chambers). We would like to express our gratitude to the team for working continuously and tirelessly in our matter. We therefore would recommend MahWengKwai & Associates to anyone looking to engage a good team of lawyers. Thank you MahWengKwai & Associates!” – Adli Sapari, Seagate Global Trading Sdn Bhd, Putrajaya
- Dispute Resolution
Insolvency & Winding Up
Trust & Succession
- Individuals & Families
Will, Trusts & Probate