Michael read law at the University of Leeds and did the Bar Professional Training Course at Nottingham Trent University. He is a member of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple and was called to the Bar in England in 2011. In 2013, Michael was called to the Malaysian Bar and has been in practice ever since.
Michael’s career started in general litigation where he practiced several areas of law. He started practice acting for banks in simple debt recoveries and naturally progressed to debt recovery for companies. He was subsequently seconded to an international oil and gas company where he provided assistance in managing several contractual disputes. When he returned from his secondment, Michael’s portfolio expanded to other areas of law including landlord and tenant, employment, shipping and construction. His area of practice has now focuses more on Construction related disputes. His experience in other areas gives him a broad area of knowledge. He is an experienced lawyer who handles not only disputes in Court but in Arbitration and Adjudication as well.
At Arbitration, Michael assisted in winning a claim of almost RM 30 million for a client. He has also successfully assisted in reducing a claim for another client through arbitration by nearly RM 20 million. In Adjudication, Michael has acted for both Claimants and Respondents. He successfully assisted a client in bringing a claim of RM 10 million and He also successfully defended another client of a RM 13 million claim.
Career to date
2023 Senior Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2020 Associate, Zul Rafique & Partner
2013 Associate, Azman Davidson & Co
2012 Pupil in Chambers, Azman Davidson & Co
2011 Bar Professional Training Course, Nottingham Trent University
2010 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Leeds
Particular litigation experience
- Successfully obtained an Adjudication Award of nearly RM 10 million.
- Successfully resisted an Adjudication Claim of nearly RM 13 million
- Assisted in an Arbitration in an Oil and Gas dispute involving an Award of RM 30 million.
- Successfully assisted a client in negotiating a settlement during Arbitration and reducing the claimed sum by nearly RM 20 million.
- Successfully resisted Performance Bond Injunction worth RM 10 million.
- Defended a company at trial against allegations of breach of contract and/or fraud.
Other Litigation Experience
- Successfully recovered property from tenants (both companies and individuals) who were ‘holding-over’.
- Successfully executed a ‘Ship Arrest’.
- General Debt recovery, execution and winding-up proceedings.
- Assisted in Employment related disputes such as wrongful termination and retrenchment.
- Dispute Resolution
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property