John graduated from University Kebangsaan Malaysia with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) in 2013 and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2014.
Having completed his pupillage in MahWengKwai & Associates under the guidance of Mr Raymond Mah, he joined MahWengKwai & Associates as an Associate in 2014.
John continues his practice with MahWengKwai & Associates in the areas of employment and labour law, contractual, and commercial disputes, debt recovery, joint management body and management corporation disputes, company law and general litigation.
In a recent 2019 Asialaw Profiles survey, John received the following client feedback:
“John was a good communicator on the projected timeline for workflow and regular provision of updates was helpful.”
Career to date
2019 Senior Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2014 Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2014 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2013 Pupil-in-Chambers, MahWengKwai & Associates
- Bar Council Sports Committee
- Bar Council National Young Lawyers and Pupils Committee (NYLPC)
- Old Georgians Association (OGA)
- Asian Law Students’ Association (ALSA)
2013 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Particular Litigation Experience
Industrial Relations and Labour Law
- Representing companies and employees in industrial relations/unfair dismissal disputes arising from issues of poor performance, misconduct, sexual harassment, breach of fiduciary duty and retrenchment, Industrial Court.
Commercial and Corporate Litigation
- Shareholders and directorship disputes arising from loan and shareholding agreements, High Court, Court of Appeal, Federal Court.
- Disputes arising from breach of confidentiality and fiduciary duties, High Court.
- Disputes arising from breach of contract, Magistrate’s Court, Sessions Court, High Court, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from unjust enrichment and negligence against banks, High Court.
- Disputes arising from the authenticity of wills, High Court.
- DIsputes arising from trespass and private nuisance, High Court.
- Recovery of outstanding debts for domestic and foreign companies, Magistrate’s Court, Sessions Court, High Court and Court of Appeal.
Other Civil Litigation
- Claims by Joint Management Bodies/Management Corporations against developers to recover outstanding maintenance fees and vacant possession of common property, High Court, Court of Appeal, Federal Court.
- Defending against claims for property under oral and implied trusts, High Court, Court of Appeal.
- Judicial reviews against the National Registration Department’s decision to refuse citizenship to an adopted child, High Court, Court of Appeal, Federal Court.
- Winding-up of companies, High Court.
- Criminal matters relating to offences including tax evasion, cheating, criminal breach of trust, causing wrongful loss to a public listed company, Magistrate’s Court, Sessions Court, High Court, Court of Appeal.
- Advising on shareholders’ and directors’ rights and remedies.
- Advising on disciplinary proceedings/procedures between employers and employees.
- Advising on termination of employees.
- Advising and reviewing of employment contracts, policies and handbooks.
- Advising and representing non-profit organisations on wildlife conservation and anti-trafficking legislation.
- Advising on strata management matters and disputes.
- Advising on Bursa Malaysia’s requirements and insider trading.
- Advising on legislation and procedures relating to extradition.
- Chai Fui Mien & Anor v Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 1394
- Konsortium Lord-Saberkat Sdn Bhd v Petron Malaysia Refining & Marketing Bhd and another appeal  6 MLJ 186
- Prima Avenue and DPC (Block G, H, 1) Management Corporation v Puncak Kencana Sdn Bhd & Ors  MLJU 1448
- Pendaftar Besar Kelahiran dan Kematian, Malaysia v Pang WS & Anor  7 CLJ 33
- Chan Nga Guan v Cogdev Malaysia Sdn Bhd  2 ILR 294
- Park Access Sdn Bhd & Ors v Badan Pengurusan Bersama Prima Avenue dan DPCC Fasa 1 (Blok G,H,I) and other appeals  MLJU 647;  1 LNS 711
- Goh Jui Leang v Tay Sing Hwa  MLJU 810;  1 LNS 828
- Ho Hau Wong & Ors v Tan Kim Chuan & Ors  MLJU 907;  1 LNS 1001
- Rajaram Ramasamy v International Brass Industries Sdn Bhd  2 LNS 1774
- Cheong Meng Wah & 2 Ors v My Social Network Sdn Bhd Industrial Court Award No.: 3079/2018
- Ang Khean Ming v Wiko Mobile Malaysia Sdn Bhd Industrial Court Award No.: 841/2019
Tel: 03-7887 2702
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Dispute Resolution
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property
Director and Shareholder Disputes
- Individuals & Families