Jeremy Balang graduated with honours from Cardiff University in 2016 and completed his Certificate in Legal Practice in 2017.
Jeremy was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya on 5 October 2018. He joined MahWengKwai & Associates in November 2022.
Jeremy’s primary area of expertise is in medical law. He has been involved in various medical and dental negligence claims, acting for patients, hospitals, healthcare practitioners and professional indemnity providers. He has been involved as leading or junior counsel in various trials and hearings in the trial and the appellate courts of Malaysia, including the Court of Appeal and the Federal Court. He has also been involved in cases involving the Malaysian Medical Council on behalf of patients and healthcare practitioners.
Jeremy’s other areas of practice include personal injury cases, occupier’s liability cases, debt recovery cases and general litigation.
2017 Certificate in Legal Practice, Advance Tertiary College
2016 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Cardiff University
2015 INTI International University
- Acted for claimants with brain injuries or damage and/or their family members, including infants who suffered cerebral palsy and also adult patients, in medical negligence claims against the Government of Malaysia (involving Government hospitals), university hospitals, private hospitals, specialist doctors, etc
- Acted for patients and/or their next-of-kin in a broad spectrum of cases involving various medical specialties including anaesthesiology, obstetrics and gynaecology, general surgery, neurosurgery, orthopaedics, emergency medicine, radiology, aesthetic medicine, rehabilitation medicine, dermatology, cosmetic treatment and surgery, dentistry, ophthalmology, ENT, endocrinology, urology, bariatric surgery, oncology, gastroenterology, nephrology, paediatrics, neonatology, cardiology, vascular surgery, psychiatry, plastic surgery, internal medicine, rheumatology, etc.
- Acted as counsel to law firms representing clients who are victims of medical or dental negligence.
- Acted for doctors, hospitals, and their respective professional indemnity providers in respect of patients’ complaints or suits filed by patients in the Malaysian Courts.
Disciplinary Proceedings and MMC Complaints
- Acted as counsel in cases involving the Malaysian Medical Council on behalf of patients (in respect of their complaints to the MMC) and healthcare practitioners (in respect of disciplinary proceedings before the MMC).
- Acted for victims of motor vehicle accidents in their claims in the Sessions Court and the High Court.
- Acted for persons who suffered injuries as a result of unsafe or hazardous premises (occupiers’ liability).
- Pantai Medical Centre Sdn Bhd v Fareed Reezal bin Arund (suing through his wife and litigation representative Wan Zafura bt Wan Kassim) and another appeal —  4 MLJ 529 (COA)
- Naren a/l Vejayan (suing through his mother and litigation representative, Sarroojar a/p Subramaniam) v The Government of Malaysia & Ors  1 LNS 1914 (JBHC)
- Kuala Terengganu Specialist Hospital Sdn Bhd & Anor v Ahmad Thaqif Amzar bin Ahmad Huzairi (claiming through mother and her litigation representative, Majdah bt Mohd Yusof) and other appeals  MLJU 2295 (COA)
- Ahmad Thaqif Amzar bin Ahmad Huzairi (claiming through his mother and legal representative, Majdah bt Mohd Yusof) v Kuala Terengganu Specialist Hospital Sdn Bhd & Ors  9 MLJ 10 (KTHC)
- Medi-Circle Sdn Bhd v Nur Zulaikha bt Dzulzaili (suing through her father and litigation representative, Dzulzaili bin Muhammad Nor) and other appeals  1 LNS 1546 (COA)
- Gurisha Taranjeet Kaur (an infant suing by her father and litigation representative, Taranjeet Singh s/o Bhagwan Singh) & Anor v Dr Premitha Damodaran & Anor  MLJU 519 (KLHC)
- Dispute Resolution
Banking & Finance
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property
Banking & Finance
Charities & Not-for-profits
Entrepreneurs & Start-ups
- Individuals & Families
Syariah Advisory Wills