Gan graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of London (External) in 2007 and completed his Certificate of Legal Practice in 2008. He chambered in MahWengKwai Seow & Megat under Mr Mah Weng Kwai. Gan was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in September 2009 and commenced legal practice with the same firm. He was promoted as Senior Associate in 2015. He was made a partner of thefirm in March 2019.
Gan continues his practice with MahWengKwai & Associates in the areas of general litigation, wills, probate and administration, banking litigation, debt recovery, construction, arbitration, family law, disputes by Management Corporation and Joint Management Body and criminal law.
Career to date
2019 Partner, MahWengKwai & Associates
2015 Senior Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2009 Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2009 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2008 Pupil-in-Chambers, MahWengKwai, Seow & Megat
- 2012 Volunteer lawyer of Yayasan Bantuan Guaman Kebangsaan
2017 LLM in International Economic Law, East China University of Political Science and Law (ECUPL)
2008 Certificate of Legal Practice
2006 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of London
Particular litigation experience
- Claim to challenge the validity of planning permission for a hypermarket, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes over the supply of aluminium panels for building cladding, Court of Appeal.
- Judicial review regarding the acquisition of land for use as a public road, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes arising from the design and construction of bored piles for a high rise apartment project, High Court.
- Defending a claim in excess of RM17 million by a Malaysian bank, High Court.
- Disputes arising from the rental of heavy duty shoring materials for the construction of a commercial project, Sessions Court.
- Defending charges against a director of a listed company for making false and misleading disclosures to the Securities Commission.
Particular arbitration experience
- Disputes arising from the laying of public works water lines.
- Perbadanan Pengurusan Genting Permai Park & Resort v Aphem Sdn Bhd  MLJU 278;  6 CLJ 407
- Simon Choong & Ors v Dragon Ginseng Enterprise Sdn Bhd & Ors  1 LNS 654;  MLJU 898
- Ng Bak Soon & Ors v Lee Chin Yen & Anor  1 LNS 1548
- Demag (M) Sdn Bhd v Greenlinx Sdn Bhd  MLJU 353
- Perbadanan Nasional Berhad v. Shaharin Shaharudin  9 CLJ 208
- MahWengKwai & Associates: Wills in Malaysia
Reviews & Testimonials
- “Raymond, Gan Chong Chieh, Hannah, Sebastian and the litigation team from MahWengKwai & Associates have always been ready to respond to our needs quickly, providing clear and practical advice. We have found them easy to work with and we particularly appreciate both their flexibility and dedication to their tasks.” -EUPE Bangsar South Development (JV) Sdn Bhd
- Dispute Resolution
Banking & Finance
Insolvency & Winding Up
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property
Trust & Succession
Banking & Finance
- Individuals & Families
Will, Trusts & Probate