Denise graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of London in September 2013 and completed her Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) in 2014. She commenced her pupillage at MahWengKwai & Associates under the tutelage of Mr Raymond Mah and was admitted to the Malaysian Bar in 2015.
Denise is a litigator and is involved in a wide range of civil disputes. She is particularly active in dealing with corporate and commercial contracts, adjudication, arbitration, construction and land acquisition matters.
Career to date
2015 Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2015 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2014 Pupil-in-Chambers, MahWengKwai & Associates
2013 Clerkship, David Soosay & Co
2014 Certificate of Legal Practice
2013 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of London
Particular litigation experience
- Adjudication claim for the recovery of professional fees of the supply and installation of electrical and mechanical works and services.
- Adjudication claim for the recovery of payment for the supply and installation of office furniture.
- Arbitration of dispute arising from the development and construction of residential bungalow and double-storey terrace houses.
- Claim for declarations that counterclaims are prohibited in adjudication proceedings under CIPAA 2012, High Court.
- Claim for a declaration that a principal’s call on the performance bond is invalid and for an injunction to restrain the principal from making further calls on the performance bond, Session Court.
- Claim for compensation due to the acquisition of the entire parcel of land and the five-storey building thereupon in Jalan Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur.
- Claim for compensation due to the entire parcel of land which has been approved for the development of 63 condominium units at Ampang Jaya, Kuala Lumpur.
- Claim for compensation due to part acquisition of religious land in Jinjang, Kuala Lumpur.
- Dispute on market value of land due to part acquisition of the land, Court of Appeal.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Winding up of companies, High Court.
- Claim by an African company against a Malaysian company for a breach of contract for the supply of palm oil to Africa, Court of Appeal.
- Removal of a company director and a claim against the director for breach of trust and fiduciary duties , Sessions Court.
- Claim against a company director for breach of fiduciary duties and confidentiality, Session Court.
- Defending a claim for the return of deposit forfeited pursuant to a breach of an agreement for the sale and purchase of shares, Sessions Court.
Other Civil Matters
- Disputes arising from an undertaking for the delivery of gold bars which were seized by Bank Negara Malaysia, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes between a Multi-level Marketing company and its distributors, Court of Appeal.
- Defending a claim for defamation arising from a letter of complaint to a government department, High Court.
- Claim for release of performance bond for the operations of a sand mine, Session Court.
- Claim for vacant possession of premises and outstanding rental from tenants, Session Court.
- Claim for breach of an agreement for the sale and purchase of property, Magistrate’s Court.
Tel: 03-7887 2702
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Insolvency & Winding Up
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property