Denise graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of London in September 2013 and completed her Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) in 2014. She commenced her pupillage at MahWengKwai & Associates under the tutelage of Mr Raymond Mah and was admitted to the Malaysian Bar in 2015.
Denise is a litigator and is involved in a wide range of civil disputes. She is particularly active in dealing with corporate and commercial contracts, adjudication, arbitration, construction and land acquisition matters.
Career to date
2015 Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2015 Called to the Malaysian Bar
2014 Pupil-in-Chambers, MahWengKwai & Associates
2013 Clerkship, David Soosay & Co
2014 Certificate of Legal Practice
2013 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of London
Particular litigation experience
- Adjudication claim for the recovery of professional fees of the supply and installation of electrical and mechanical works and services.
- Adjudication claim for the recovery of payment for the supply and installation of office furniture.
- Arbitration of dispute arising from the development and construction of residential bungalow and double-storey terrace houses.
- Claim for declarations that counterclaims are prohibited in adjudication proceedings under CIPAA 2012, High Court.
- Claim for a declaration that a principal’s call on the performance bond is invalid and for an injunction to restrain the principal from making further calls on the performance bond, Session Court.
- Claim for compensation due to the acquisition of the entire parcel of land and the five-storey building thereupon in Jalan Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur.
- Claim for compensation due to the entire parcel of land which has been approved for the development of 63 condominium units at Ampang Jaya, Kuala Lumpur.
- Claim for compensation due to part acquisition of religious land in Jinjang, Kuala Lumpur.
- Dispute on market value of land due to part acquisition of the land, Court of Appeal.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Winding up of companies, High Court.
- Claim by an African company against a Malaysian company for a breach of contract for the supply of palm oil to Africa, Court of Appeal.
- Removal of a company director and a claim against the director for breach of trust and fiduciary duties , Sessions Court.
- Claim against a company director for breach of fiduciary duties and confidentiality, Session Court.
- Defending a claim for the return of deposit forfeited pursuant to a breach of an agreement for the sale and purchase of shares, Sessions Court.
Other Civil Matters
- Disputes arising from an undertaking for the delivery of gold bars which were seized by Bank Negara Malaysia, Court of Appeal.
- Disputes between a Multi-level Marketing company and its distributors, Court of Appeal.
- Defending a claim for defamation arising from a letter of complaint to a government department, High Court.
- Claim for release of performance bond for the operations of a sand mine, Session Court.
- Claim for vacant possession of premises and outstanding rental from tenants, Session Court.
- Claim for breach of an agreement for the sale and purchase of property, Magistrate’s Court.
Review & Testimonial
- “Qualified and competent group of lawyers. My case was handled by Denise Phang with high level of professionalism and attention to detail. Highly recommended!!” – Mr Wassi, Kuala Lumpur
- “I would like to thank Denise Phang for her valuable advice and Sree Raj for her initial help. I have been under pressure after finding out that my tenants quietly left my property without 60 days moving out notice and with 12 months arrears. With the Covid 19 pandemic and while working overseas, it was hard for me to return with all the travel restrictions to get things sorted. Thanks to Denise as she was able to provide the prompt and practical legal advice needed so that I could make proper decisions and take the next step of action. I strongly recommend Denise Phang from MahWengKwai & Associates for help if you encounter any tenancy issues.” – Kelvin S, New Zealand
- “The peace of mind that Ms. Christine Toh, Ms. Denise Phang, and Mr. Wong Chee En provide for construction related matters is not merely without basis but reflected positively in the outcome evident from the cases handled by this amazing team which further gives me the confidence to entrust them in dealing with other complex matters in litigation, CIPAA, and advisory roles. Their quick, detailed, and confident responses are often, if not always brings a sense of clarity and direction moving forward.” – Nicholas Jones, Binasat Sdn Bhd, Kuala Lumpur
- “Denise Phang is a hardworking, bright, briliant and articulate lawyer. She was patiently working on all the materials and facts that I have brought to her for this case. Her legal team are always good in helping clients seek fairness and justice. Her submissions were good and her performance and lawyer instinct in open court was briliant. Thank you Denise and all lawyers involved in the case.” – Chong Tuan Ng, United Kingdom
- “Having MahWengKwai & Associates for any public law litigation is a must. Especially in a David and Goliath fight when the State armed itself with the full might of the government apparatuses. Raymond Mah, Denise and Vivien together with their assistants went into the lion’s den, armored only with Rule of Law, powerful pleadings and determination were able to wrestle numerous victories at the appellate courts. Bravo and thank you.” – Estate of Tan Bok Yin, Hulu Kelang, Kuala Lumpur
- “In my ongoing acrimonious and convoluted land acquisition exercise with a highway concessionaire, MWKA provided expert, comprehensive, professional, holistic and proactive legal advice. Along the way, I was updated in a timely manner and Ms Denise Phang & team is patient, thorough and efficient in responding to my queries. I am very satisfied and happy with MWKA services, reasonable fee structure and would highly recommend MWKA to all my friends.” – Pristine Power Sdn Bhd, Kuala Lumpur
- “We highly recommend MahWengKwai & Associates for CIPAA proceedings. They represented us in CIPAA proceedings for the collection of late payments in our constructions projects. The adjudication decisions were in our favour and we received an unexpected settlement, more than what we had hoped for. We would like to express our sincere thanks to the team, Ms Christine Toh who is knowledgeable and exceptional, Ms Denise Phang and the rest who handled our cases professionally. We appreciate their attention to detail, quick response time, quality and good analytic skills.” – Dorothee Wong, Versalink Sdn Bhd, Selangor
Tel: 03-7887 2702
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Dispute Resolution
Insolvency & Winding Up
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property