Agalya graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from Aberystwyth University, Wales and obtained her Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) in 2013.
Agalya is a highly skilled and accomplished lawyer with a remarkable track record in handling complex legal matters with a primary area of expertise in Criminal Litigation, Civil Litigation and contractual disputes. She has represented clients in the Court of Appeal for anti-money laundering/white collar crimes and most recently in the Federal Court for breach of statutory duty against the Government of Malaysia. Agalya has demonstrated her expertise in handling high-stakes cases including smuggling and immigration offences. Her exceptional advocacy skills has resulted in successful outcomes for her clients from the Magistrates Court all the way to the Federal Court. Her extensive knowledge of relevant laws and regulations, coupled with their strong legal acumen, has enabled her to navigate the complexities in legal procedures and safeguard her clients’ rights and interests. Agalya has also secured favourable outcomes by arguing against the creation of a resulting trust and challenging orders for eviction. She has demonstrated comprehensive understanding of administrative law, coupled with meticulous preparation for her clients seeking redress through the judicial review process.
Agalya’s other areas of practice include taxation, general civil litigation and debt recovery.
As part of her professional development, Agalya has enrolled with the Malaysian Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators for the Chartered Governance Qualifying Programme in March 2023.
Career to date
2023 Senior Associate, MahWengKwai & Associates
2018 Senior Associate, J R Ravendren & Associates
2014 Associate, J R Ravendren & Associates
2013 Pupil-in-Chambers, J R Ravendren & Associates
2011 Internship, J R Ravendren & Associates
2013 Certificate of Legal Practice
2010 Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of London
Particular litigation experience
- Defending accused persons in smuggling offences
- Remand proceedings before the Magistrates Court
- Bail mitigation for accused persons
- Sentencing mitigation for corporate bodies and individual accused persons
- Sentencing appeal for accused person in High Court
- Preparing representation letter to the Attorney General’s Chambers and Customs Legal Unit
- Preparation of Witness Statements for trial and cross-examining witnesses.
- Defending corporate bodies and individual persons under AMLATFPUAA 2001
- Seeking certiorari and mandamus order from High Court against the Royal Malaysian Customs
Other Civil Matters
- Claim for the return of deposit forfeited pursuant to a breach of an agreement of Tenancy Agreement, Sessions Court.
- Initiating summary judgment proceedings against the insurance company for the theft of an insured vehicle.
- Disputes arising from a breach of contract for security services.
- Settlement of garnishee proceedings.
- Disputes arising from the arrival of a vessel in Kuantan Port containing raw materials that was subject to the investigations by the Department of Environment, Malaysia.
- Claim for damages against the Royal Malaysian Customs Department for the value of the imported goods being the subject matter of an unlawful and illegal seizure in breach of statutory duties at High Court, Court of Appeal and Federal Court.
- Claim for sinking fund and maintenance fee for a Management Corporation, Magistrate Court
- Representing a client who lodged a complaint with the Advocate and Solicitors Disciplinary Board.
- Claim for vacant possession of premise and outstanding rental from tenant pursuant to breach of Tenancy Agreement, Session Court.
- Assisting clients with Customs licensing and internal audit requirements.
- Sarmiina Sdn Bhd v Gerry Ho & Ors  4 MLJ 870
- Five Sun Trading Sdn Bhd v Muhammad Sallehudin bin Ramli & Ors  8 MLJ 822
- Muhammad Anwar bin Gulam Mohamad v Pendakwa Raya  5 LNS 1263
- Public Prosecutor v Lee Swee Chee  5 LNS 218
- Simplex Sdn Bhd & Ors v PP  4 CLJ 595
- Dispute Resolution
Banking & Finance
Joint Management Bodies & Management Corporations
Strata Titles & Common Property
Banking & Finance
Charities & Not-for-profits
Entrepreneurs & Start-ups
- Individuals & Families
Syariah Advisory Wills