On the morning of 19th December 2012, each one of us jumped out of bed eagerly to meet our “adopted children” for the day – children aged 6-14 from Myanmar – who are part of the Zomi Education Centre, Kota Damansara. The community have limited means financially and educationally.
According to the UNHCR, there are >80,000 Myanmar refugees in Malaysia, with the following needs:
- Favourable protection environment
- Fair protection processes and documentation
- Security from violence and exploitation
- Basic needs and essential services
- Community empowerment and self-reliance
- Durable solutions (Voluntary return, Integration, Resettlement, Reduction in Statelessness)
- Leadership, coordination and partnerships
If you would like to join us to help the Kota Damansara Myanmar community, please contact us to pass us school supplies, e.g. colour pencils, pencils, art block, exercise books, school workbooks, bags, rulers, socks, shoes etc. and food supplies which we will pass on to them. The school also has need for volunteer teachers for English and Maths.
We, and the children of the Zomi Education Centre, thank you for being a part of this.