Family businesses are an often overlooked form of ownership. The definition of a family businesses would mean that a family owns a significant share and can influence many an important decision, management or control. To be successful, a family business must meet two intertwined challenges: achieving strong business performance and keeping the family committed to and capable of carrying on as the owner.
At MWKA, we support and assist family businesses by ensuring that the harmonious relations within the family and an understanding of how members should be involved with the business, an ownership structure that provides sufficient capital for growth while allowing the family to control key parts of the business and maintain strong governance of the company.
- Advising and acting for shareholders in minority oppression claims, shareholders disputes etc.
- Advising and acting for directors and shareholders in disputes involving directors and shareholders
- Advising clients on unlawful appointment of company directors, corporate representatives and company secretary
- Advising clients on removal of company directors
- Advising clients on shareholders’ rights and remedies
- Commercial contracts
- Corporate litigation
- Entrepreneurs and start-ups
- Wills, trusts and probate
Reviews & Testimonials
- “Our heartfelt appreciation goes to Tommy Wong, Mira Mashor, Vinson Cheng and Azila Amiruddin for helping us with the execution of our share sale and business transfer agreements. Their knowledge and expertise really helped us to navigate through what felt like a massive undertaking for us. Their professionalism was also displayed in ensuring that everything was completed in a timely manner, from the beginning until the end. Overall, we are more than satisfied with their services and would definitely recommend them to friends and family! Keep up the excellent work!” – Timothy Ten
- “MahWengKwai & Associates have been engaged to handle an on-going family property /inheritance case which involves multiple stakeholders from two generations. Their understanding and soft skills to deal with the complication of family circumstances carve the path towards an amicable cooperation amongst the stakeholders. Despite an initial setback in the High Court, we maintain our perseverance in our lawsuit and faith in MahWengKwai & Associates. Due to the professional support of MahWengKwai & Associates, the Court of Appeal granted a favourable Court Order in May 2019. The overall service of MahWengKwai & Associates is commendable; professional case evaluation, professional advice and excellent knowledge of our case challenges. All the supporting staff are friendly, approachable and response to our queries and requests in a timely manner. In addition, they provide clear explanations on our case challenges and directions. Our case is still on-going and not concluded yet. Nevertheless, we have full confidence in MahWengKwai & Associates and continue to make use of their service in the present and any future case.” – Freddie Leong, Netherlands/KL
- “Having MahWengKwai & Associates for any public law litigation is a must. Especially in a David and Goliath fight when the State armed itself with the full might of the government apparatuses. Raymond Mah, Denise and Vivien together with their assistants went into the lion’s den, armored only with Rule of Law, powerful pleadings and determination were able to wrestle numerous victories at the appellate courts. Bravo and thank you.” – Estate of Tan Bok Yin, Hulu Kelang, Kuala Lumpur