Family businesses are an often overlooked form of ownership. The definition of a family businesses would mean that a family owns a significant share and can influence many an important decision, management or control. To be successful, a family business must meet two intertwined challenges: achieving strong business performance and keeping the family committed to and capable of carrying on as the owner. At MWKA, we support and assist family businesses by ensuring that the harmonious relations within the family and an understanding of how members should be involved with the business, an ownership structure that provides sufficient capital for growth while allowing the family to control key parts of the business and maintain strong governance of the company.
Our services and support include, but is not limited to the following areas:
- Advise and act for shareholders in minority oppression claims, shareholders disputes etc.
- Advise and act for directors and shareholders in disputes involving directors and shareholders
- Advise on unlawful appointment of company directors, corporate representatives and company secretary
- Advise on removal of company directors
- Advise on shareholders’ rights and remedies
Represented and acted for brother who are also shareholders of two companies in the floriculture business in opposing a claim alleging minority oppressionunder section 181 of the Companies Act 1965 and a claim for wrongful removal of a company director. MWKA successfully opposed both suits in the High Court and the Court of Appeal.