In Malaysia, a person may adopt a child under the Adoption Act 1952 or Registration of Adoption Act 1952 provided they satisfy the conditions stated under the respective Acts. We have extensive experience in providing representation and legal advisory services to individuals who are interested to adopt children both under the Malaysian Registration of Adoption Act 1952 and Adoption Act 1952.
- Advising and assisting parents in adopting children who are born either to Malaysian parents or non-Malaysian parents
- Representing parents in court to legalise the adoption of the child
- Assisting parents and the court in contacting the child’s biological parents, if needed
- Contacting and liaising with the National Registration Department in the issuance of the child’s post-adoption birth certificate after the adoption order is granted
- Providing legal opinions to non-Malaysian parents who wish to obtain foreign citizenship for the child
- Advising and assisting parents in registering the birth of the child via the late registration process under the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1957
We have experience in advising and representing Malaysian and non-Malaysian parents in court during the adoption process. The adoption process includes obtaining an interim court order to dispense the attendance of the child’s biological parents during the court proceedings and obtaining the adoption order for the child.
We also advise and assist potential adoptive parents in obtaining the adoptive child’s birth certificate via the late birth registration process. This process involves among others, the compilation of documents and interviews of the witnesses of the child’s birth by the JPN officers.
We also advise and assist parents in seeking for declarations of citizenship for children who are registered by the NRD as “non-citizen” or “undetermined”.
Reviews & Testimonials
- “I would like to extend my sincerest appreciation to MahWengKwai & Associates, particularly to Ms Jasmine Wong, Mr Eric Toh and Ms Liow Pei Xia. For the adoption of our two little girls, not only did they deliver what they promised in a professional and timely manner, they also went out of their way to cater to our needs. We are very thankful to have their support especially in certain aspects of the cases when it got quite challenging. We have recommended them to many of our friends as a result. ” – Wini and Tim Heron
- “Thank you for your guidance and counsel in achieving a positive outcome in my matter. I would also like to thank and commend Eric Toh for his support and hard work in handling my case. Eric has been professional, prompt and responsive in dealing with my queries and requests. He has also demonstrated pro-activeness, maturity and responsibility in providing suggestions when we have experienced challenges in the past months. Thanks go to Prisilla as well. She was composed, calm and confident at court. You have a great team.” – Irina Lim, Selangor
- “I have been using the services of MWKA for a few years and have found them to be very professional and full of empathy. Especially with the likes of Raymond Mah, Prisilla Chong & Eric Toh. They will go the extra mile to ensure that they have all sides of the story, know what needs to be done and strategize with you on how best to move forward. I have recommended their services to friends and will not hesitate to engage them for any future requirements” – Looi Kok Peng, Kuala Lumpur
- “We would like to extend our deepest gratitude to MahWengKwai & Associates who we have engaged for the adoption of our little girl. Despite the obstacles and hurdles faced, Jasmine Wong was very efficient and professional in advising and assisting us. We highly recommend Jasmine and MWKA for their professional legal services.” – Lexie Knowles, Kuala Lumpur
- “Jasmine has been very helpful and patient with my enquiries and I thank her for her professionalism and understanding of my case.” – Mr K, Selangor